Sunday, June 1, 2008

I Wish I Had a Penguin Cake



Here is the promised cake. It looks like a penguin because Morgan likes penguins, and it is crooning because her birthday involved karaoke. I am really proud of this, and not just because the frosting is wonderfully not lumpy (unlike the mushroom cake).

The cake is chocolate with vanilla buttercream frosting, from the deceased but still glorious Cupcake Blog (sans coconut), with a chocolate ganache penguin.

It started out as some fun sketches. I had trouble picking my favorite little penguin, so I made Geoff pick. A part of me is sad I didn't go with shy penguin.



I made sure the butter was very soft this time, and that it was mixed very thoroughly with the sugar, and it seems to have worked. Note how smooth! I also used a touch of blue food coloring to make the frosting "whiter" (blue counters the yellowness of the butter and vanilla).



I sketched the design into the buttercream with a knife before attempting it with the ganache. I was eager to get back to my important work Elder Scrolls Oblivion, so this went pretty quickly. I used a snipped ziploc bag to add the ganache, as before.

Don't even think about it, Hamlet.



I kind of love this character.



Morgan approves!



And here's a picture of Geoff singing "People are Strange" by The Doors.

2 comments:

i wish i had a penguin friend said...

and I LOVED it!

thank you so much :)

Mucha Muchacha said...

I had some of that cake and it was good!